Subject: issues with DECstation 5100/125
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Ashley Campbell <ponty@shellyeah.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/26/1999 01:02:17
I have a bunch of DECstation 3100s, and have had no troubles getting the
little buggers to work in the past, but I inhereted a DECstation 5100/125
today, and it's a totally different beast.

I have tried to get the thing to boot from my 3100's drives. Is that
possible? I have an old 200 MB drive around with NetBSD, so I put it in
and enter "boot 3/rz0a/netbsd", as is explained in the 5000 faq, and I get
"?DEV: 3/rz0a".  So, I try "boot 3/rz0/netbsd" and that looks like it
starts to work. The drive spins up, but it just presents a carriage return
and sits there doing nothing.

Will my NetBSD 1.3.2 install as installed for a 3100 work on the 5000? At
least the kernel should load, right?

Also, these devices are connected internally. The 50 pin high-density SCSI
connector on the back does not have a terminator on it. Is that a problem?

Thanks for the help!

-Ashley Campbell
 http://s3.res.cmu.edu