Subject: PX/PXG driver - update
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/26/1999 05:34:19
Hi all.

I've done a little more work on the driver. I think it should use it's
own font, since I just tried the ``gallant'' font (from wscons_rfont.h)
and it seems that the bits are ordered right-to-left from the card's point
of view. Re-orienting them on the fly would be expensive (does
anybody feel that it's a nessacary evil?). Using a 256-byte lookup table
we could probably do it in 4 lines of code.

The cleanest solution to getting rcons support that I can see is adding
'struct wsdisplay_emulops *rc_emulops' (as suggested by Jonathan - ?) to
struct rconsole, and then going at rcons_subr.c with a fine-toothed
pickaxe.

I'll bring the driver to that level, then hand it over to whoever wants
to do the rcons-hacking, since I don't want to step on anybody's toes
(unless the RP feels that it's OK). I will maintain it, though. I'll
post the code in 2-3 days.

For the laugh I've put up a test kernel at:

	http://www.psn.ie/users/ad/vmunix.gz

This is *broken*, it'll only run on a 5000/1xx, and all it does is try
to exercise the card a little. I'd appreciate it if somebody with
one of the 3D cards could try to boot this and let me know that happens.
Pls boot with '-s' so it doesn't mess up anything. A terminal/machine
hanging off the serial console would be helpful.

Andy.