Subject: Demand dialing with PPP (was: Re: IP masquerading with 1.3.3)
To: NetBSD/pmax Discussion List <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/24/1999 16:50:49
On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

=> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Bernhard H. Buckel wrote:
=>
=> > Dear mailinglist,
=> >
=> > I'm trying to find out how to setup my 5000/50 as a dial-on-demand
=> > router to connect my LAN to the 'net. Standalone connection works just
=> > fine, now I'm looking for help regarding the following:
=> >
=> > - Is there a way to implement a dial-on-demand solution? I know the
=> >   Linux-diald but this program just won't compile (obviously it's very
=> >   Linux-specific). Is there another package floating around that's
=> >   known to compile and work under NetBSD?
=>
=> Yes. To get dial-on-demand, just correctly configure the in-tree pppd. :-)
=> As I'm not entirely sure how to do it, I'll others say. You will need to
=> make sure you have a static IP address, though.

For me, it amounted to adding the keyword "demand" to my
/etc/ppp/options file, along with (from memory) "connect <path-to-chat>
-f <path-to-chat-script-to-do-dialup-and-login-to-PPP-server>".  For
good measure, I also put an "idle 300" into /etc/ppp/options so the
connection is dropped after 5 minutes of idle time.  (I also wrote a
simple shell script called "hangup" which would send a HUP to pppd, to
hang up the phone line immediately.)  So, any traffic over the PPP
interface will bring up the dialup connection automagically, and it will
hang up after I'm done (idle for 5 minutes).  Smooth as silk...

In fact, you don't even need to add these to /etc/ppp/options: you can
supply them as command line parameters to the invocation of pppd.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
	--- James Marshall Hendrix