Subject: Re: rcons glue for new driver
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/22/1999 12:55:02
>> MI z85C30 based wscons kbd/mouse drivers are imcomplete but in useful
>> state for 3MIN and 3MAX+.  Consult 'M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de' about
>> this subject.
>
> True, but these use the so-called `mi' zs driver, and Matthias says
> they dont support modem control on the TC serial ports.  That's a
> worry.  It also leaves the Personal DEcstations, and the 5000/200, and
> 3100 out in the cold.

I think WSCONS transition won't happen before NetBSD/pmax 1.4 release.
There are complications of WSCONS cross platform-ness.

  * WSCONS-ready 85C30 driver specifically designed for DECstation and
    TURBOchannel Alpha  (The code will be populated in dev/dec/).
  * improve LK201 keyboard and VS mouse layer attachable with both of 85C30
    and DC7085  (also be populated in dev/dec/).
  * WSCONS-ready DC7085 driver good for PMAX, 3MAX and VAXstation (dev/dec/)
  * packet handler for Personal DECstation Desktop Bus. (arch/pmax/tc/)
  * WSCONS-aware X11R6 server (there exist some already)

With those above all completed, DECstation, TC Alpha and VAXstation
will have WSCONS simultaneously.

>> For PX wscons integration, it'd be a good start point to exploit
>> 'sys/dev/tc/cfb.c';
>>
>>        s/cfb/px/g
>>        s/rop_/stic_/      ========> correction, should be s/rcons_/stic_/
>
> That's a good start, but we really need to abstract the VDAC (or
> ramdac) controller out of that code, instead of replicating it 3 times
> -- or 4 times, if you count i860 boards with 24-bit colour via 3 VDACs.

Code duplications will be eventually solved once the interface is well
identified.  The current approach of TGA drivers provide good
reference point.  They could be done later.

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology