Subject: Re: what is this?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/18/1999 11:29:42
>>  0: PMTNV-AA DEC      V1.1     TCF0  (1 MB NVRAM )
>
> The "1 MB NVRAM" sorta gives it away, but a quick AltaVista search
> proves that it's a TurboChannel PrestoServe card.  Ultrix doesn't
> support it, but it seems that Dec UNIX does.
>
> If you can get this working _with_ the ffs soft update code, we'll have
> fast safe synchronous writes :-)

ULTRIX could run TURBOchannel PrestoServ option cards.  Our site once
had 4 complete sets of DECsystem 5900 in 2 cabinet enclosure, and they
were in operation with PrestoServ enabled.  PrestoServ driver
intercepts any of (including even RAID) disk operations using hooks in
bdevsw[], and pretends to achieve very quick I/Os in crash proof
fashion.  NFS synchronous write nature was eventually improved with
it.

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology