Subject: Re: New pmax -current snapshot
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/10/1999 10:14:38
Hi.

>> There's a snapshot of what should be Satuday's (PST) sup source on
>> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/1999-02-06.

>> I'd really appreciate it if people could take the time to fetch and
>> try booting the install kernel, and letting us know whether it boots
>> successfully or not. (not to install or do the upgrade; just if it
>> boots successfully).  We'd really like to use the new-style install
>> for 1.4, but we can't test all the various PROM versions ourselves.

I tried the 'netbsd.ecoff' image, and my MAXINE unit sucessfully
booted it.  The PROM version is 'KN02-CA2.0m'

However, the same unit failed to boot with a.out 'netbsd' populated
in the root filesystem while loading the image;

	Size: 96006+2141472   (fails to proceed, then)

It seems the boot loader problem.

And another issue.  I noticed there is a clock calibration error in
recent 1.3I kernels.   For example, my 33MHz MAXINE shows;

	NetBSD 1.3I (RAMDISK) #23: Sun Feb  7 02:08:56 PST 1999
	    jonathan@Cuisinart.Stanford.EDU:/cuisinart/compile/RAMDISK
	Personal DECstation 5000/45 (MAXINE)

It'd be nice to hear the kernel now can counts 1.36 times faster in a
simple calibration loop, but I could not find out what caused the
change.  The calibration error has been seen since very late January
kernels.

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology