Subject: Re: Help booting DECStation 5000/200 from bootp/tftp. Prompt R> on DECStation
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Henning Schreiber <schreiberh@vossnet.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/07/1999 18:54:00
>On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:10:35 +0100  "Henning Schreiber" wrote:
>
>> [[ problems booting a 5000/200 of a Windows 95 machine ]]
>>
>> So there are ten minutes between start and end. How long does the machine
>> normally takes to boot
>> through bootp/tftp?
>
>Of the top of my head, 20 or 30 seconds...
>
>> Problems known about starting the bootp and tftp on Windxxs? I have no
>> working Linux station at
>> home.
>>
>> Windxxs 95 Version 4.00.950
>> Lanworks BOOTP Server v1.1 Aug. 11/97 evaluation version
>> Lanworks Bootware TFTP Server v1.00 August 1/97 evaluation version
>
>AFAIK, no one has tried to boot a DECstation off a Windows machine.  The
>standard kernels will also want to mount their root filesystem via NFS
>as well, which I suspect Windows won't do out of the box.

Normally thats right, but there are some tools, like BOOTP, TFTP and NFS
server for Windows to make this possible. In my company the filesystems on
the windows machines are shared to IRIX and Linux using NFS. So it should be
possible for the DECStation to mount their filesystem via NFS

>> Other problem with my second DECStation. I can't get the boot prompt
(>>). I
>> just get a prompt R>
>> All correct commands are ignored. But when I type "boot xyz" I get the
>> normal error message.
>> Anything known about it?
>
>Look at the faq: http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/faq.html#nvreset

Great, it worked. Now I've two non working workstations!

Bye the way, the hexadecimal codes descibed in the last mail, on the console
of the DECStation, are they normal?

Does the kernel produce any output when loading, if it isn't finding it's
root filesystem?

What happens, if you connect the 10 MBit DECStation to a 100 MBit PC and try
to boot via bootp/tftp? When do errors appear? Could this be my error?

Thanks for answer.

Henning