Subject: (mips): egcs on -current miscompiles strtod.c
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org, port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/04/1999 19:29:23
hi all,

There seems to be a bug in an EGCS-compiled strtod.c.
This breaks Perl ("10" gets printed as ":", etc) an a few other
things. (someone mentioned top recently on port-pmax).

>From the notes I have when we first integrated egcs, it looks like an
egcs compiled with gcc-2.7.2.2+myc1 DTRT with strtod.c. So I'm
guessing either an egcs-compiled egcs mangles strtod, or its something
that came in a more recent change to strtod.c, or alternatively, with
the newer release of egcs.

Perl on -current on a pmax fouls up horribly, not suprisingly.  But
extracting the old strtod.so from the 1.3.3 release and replacing the
libc.so.12.37 strtod results in Perl passing all its test.

Pmaxes are slow, so a binary-search to figure out what's wrong will
be, too.  Has anybody else seen this? If so, did you manage ot make it
go away by recompiling EGCS and rebuilding libc?