Subject: Re: Netbooting again (DECStation 5000/25 from Linux)
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/04/1999 09:15:37
Hi.

> Yesterday, I installed on to a second machine.  I verified that it
> can be booted with keyboard only, and then the keyboard can be
> removed, and I can work it headless via ethernet.  However, it
> seems that you cannot then use the keyboard again.  Plugging the
> LK-201 back in puts the machine into a spasm, and it locks up.
> So, when I shut it down, this must also be via ethernet.

Your Personal DECstation has "Desktop Bus" interface, which has design
properties much like as Apple ADB or USB.  If OS has appropriate
software support inside, Desktop Bus devices can be used in so-called
"hot-plug" fashion.  Unfortunately, NetBSD does not. So,
Unpluging-reinsertion cycle will cause unexpected interrupts for
NetBSD device driver, and would result in complete system lockup or
something worse.  (the keyboard is called LK-501, which is a
remodeled LK-201 with Desktop Bus interface)

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology