Subject: Re: Tape drive update
To: bob evinger <revinger@marshallonline.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/02/1998 19:37:05
On Nov  2,  8:51pm, bob evinger wrote:
> The error that I am now getting when I attempt to use the
> drive is on the console:
>
>     tz1: Illegal request, end of media seen
>     tzcommand: resid 17
>

> Anyone recognize this error. I did not have a "real" 8mm data

  Does the drive configure as an "EX-8200" drive?  The pmax tz driver
only recognizes a small number of tape devices, and treats the rest
as a "GENERIC SCSI" device.  If the driver then tries to issue a
command that the tape drive doesn't recognize, it would return this
error.

  It's also possible that the driver does configure the drive
as an "EX-8200", but then tries to do a command that the Exabyte
doesn't like anyway.  I can't remember if anyone has sucessfully
used the tz driver on an Exabyte lately.

> tape so attempted to use an 8mm video tape. Is the case on
> a video tape notched in some way that the hardware would not
> allow it to be used? Or am I dealing with somethine else...

  I don't recall a video tape causing any problems way back when I
was playing with an Exabyte.

  From the output you gave, it looks like the tape is probably being
identified correctly, since the transfer length for the mode sense
command gets set to 17 when the the driver recognizes the Exabyte.
The message seems to indicate the either a Mode Sense or Mode Select
command it not being accepted by the tape drive.  My guess is the
driver is doing a Mode Select command, but has not formatted the
command correctly.  I see that there are a couple sections of code
that have been commented out in tzopen() for the Exabyte.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant