Subject: Looking for a really "compatible" CD-ROM drive
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/25/1998 22:53:36
--------------D386AFB8B1AEBB608445BBC9

Hi!

Although I would prerfer to run NetBSD on all my DS5k, I currently have
a pair of DS5k/125 in my "zoo" that have these big and _very_ hairy
chested (:-)) PMAG-D's in them - one of them is fitted with all possible
options. Since this board is not supported, I'm "forced" to install
Ultrix... That's where the trouble starts: I've tried several CD-ROM
drives (Pioneer, Plextor and a Yamaha CD-R) but nothing seems to work.
The Ultrix Kernel boots and the install process comes up with the BASIC
or ADVANCED question. Whatever I choose, it then starts scanning for
available HDs and bombs out with a kernel panic, because it "thinks" the
CD-ROM is "normal" hard disk :( Is it absolutely necessary to use a "DEC
blessed" CD-ROM drive ? Or is there some "black magic" that I need to
apply to continue the installation ?

Sorry if this is "off-topic" - I just want to see what this PMAG-D's are
capable of before ripping them out and storing them in a safe place :-)

MMMTIA,
Marc
--------------D386AFB8B1AEBB608445BBC9

begin:vcard
n:Gutschner;Marc
tel;cell:+49-172-6903830
tel;fax:+49-6196-21604
tel;home:+49-6196-73451
tel;work:+49-6196-6092-27
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Me? Organized?
adr:;;Finkenweg 5;Sulzbach/Ts.;;65843;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:Marc.Gutschner@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Marc Gutschner