Subject: Re: Whoops...
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/20/1998 09:36:26
On Oct 20, 10:56am, William O Ferry wrote:
>     Okay, so I've been trying to bring my 3100 up to -current and been
> having a rather poor time.  libc wouldn't build (something about missing
> or unknown instructions or something), which I assumed to be an out of
> date gcc/binutils.  But I couldn't update these either, kept getting

  The 1.3.2 gcc and friends should work fine.  I just rebuilt a -current
libc this weekend without any trouble.

>     Now my machine won't come up successfully.  While booting, many
> programs give errors such as 'grep: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected'.

  This indicates that the binary is not a recogized executable type
and the kernel is invoking it as a shell script.  This can be caused
by trying to run an Ultrix binary without Ultrix compatibility or ECOFF
support in the kernel [not likely in your case].  I think I've also
seen this occur if /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so [or /usr/libexec/ld.so for older
binaries] does not exist or can't be loaded.

>     So my question is:  what did I do wrong??  =)  Is there another
> tarball I need to install?  What program could be causing these errors?

  What snapshot did you use?  [I haven't been keeping track of the snapshot
status.]

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu