Subject: Re: Mounting the root fs rw
To: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/13/1998 16:35:06
On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 23:11:59 -0700  Nick Moffitt wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 04:08:00PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> >
> > Have you tried mounting the CD after installation?
>
> 	I have tried.  That's the issue.  Ultrix mounted it just fine,
> but neither the miniroot nor the base installation of NetBSD would
> accept the mountpoints I gave.
>
> > I presume the CD-rom a DEC CD that's jumpered for a 512-byte blocksize?
>
> 	It's a Toshiba XM drive, and about as standard as you can get.
>
> > Did you  specify
> >
> >     mount -o ro -t cd9660 /dev/rz?a  /mount/point
>
> 	I tried:
> mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/rz4c /mnt2

I would expect this one to work...  Umm, /mnt2 does exist??

> mount -t cd9660 /dev/rz4c /mnt2
> mount_cd9660 /dev/rz4c /mnt2
>
> 	And other variations.  I believe that c is a mnemonic for the
> "complete" drive, and isn't a real partition so much as a description
> of the entire drive.  At the very least this was true for the hard
> drives.
>
> 	The drive does respond to some prodding (like trying to mount
> it ffs, which fails miserably, but the thing does spin up).  The only
> problem is that when I specify a mount point, it says "invalid
> argument".

The kernel in the 1.3.2 release does include the cd9660 driver.  Can you
do something as simple as:

	dd if=/dev/rz4c of=/some/file/name bs=512 count=2048

This should read the first megabyte off the CD.

> > Simon: time for another doc update and FAQ entry...
>
> 	Well, the pmax docs were only marginally helpful for my little
> decstation, but I wasn't going into this expecting any hand-holding.

I'm in the process of trying to improve the documentation
available for the pmax port, starting with the web pages at
http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/index.html.  Please let me (or the list
in general) know where you thing the doco is deficient, and I'll try and
do something about it.

> On an unrelated note, I find that the base installation is missing
> some utilites, such as fdisk, which I rather need in order to try to
> bring another of my drives up.  adduser is also missing, and I've had
> to guess a bit about the behavior of the master.passwd and passwd
> files (I must confess that I am not as familiar as I should be with
> the Berkeley Way).  Am I to assume that these are on the packages CD
> (which I am unable to mount)?

"fdisk" doesn't exist in the pmax world - you use "disklabel" (included
in the base distribution) to set up partitions.  As far as an "adduser"
command - there's a man page that describes how to set up an account
(ie, the master.passwd stuff).  I use the "vipw" command to set up
accounts myself.

Simon.