Subject: Re: simm question...
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/06/1998 09:35:11
On Mon, 05 Oct 1998 16:12:17 -0600  Herb Peyerl wrote:

> ok.  so I finally get around to bringing up one of these
> 5000/133's (with cpu upgrades from simon/davidb) and go to
> plug in this pile of simms I got and they're not right! I
> found a pile of 100 pin simms somewhere. they said 'DEC 1992'
> on them so I figured they gotta be decstation simms... Now I
> see I need 88 pin simms which I don't have any of ...
>
> What are the 100 pin simms for? a ds5500 or an alpha or something?

Definitely not 5500 memory - they're QBus cards.  If it's for a
DECsystem, I'd almost bet on a 5100.  Unfortunately my spare 5100 is at
the bottom of a pile of machines and I can't get to it.

Can you find a part number that starts with MS followed by a couple of
digits and then a few letters anywhere?  The pmax models web page has a
listing of most memory part numbers.  The 5100 takes MS44's.

If it's alpha memory, your asking the wrong list (or at least the wrong
guy :-).

The parts you really want are 2MB SIMMS called MS01-AA (for a maximum of
32MB) or 8MB SIMMs called MS02-CA (for a maximum of 128MB).  You have
to install these in pairs, but you can't mix sizes in the one system.
The MS01-AA's I have are a brown board with "5019464-02" stenciled them,
while the MS01-CA's are green with "50-20612-01" marked on them.

Simon.