Subject: Re: Prestoserve NFS "accelerator" ?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/14/1998 19:28:55
On Sep 14,  1:14pm, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >  I have one in a 5000/200.  The PROM recognizes it as a PrestoServe
> >non-volatile memory, but I do not know how it does it.
>
> I _think_ I do, but I'm not completely sure...
> There's also the hairy question of figuring out the battery status
> (which you need to in order know if the NVRAM contents is good),
> figuring out just how much NVRAM there is (IIRC, there were two sizes
> of board), and then checking the signature in the NVRAM.
> Plus maybe fiddling around with enabling charging/online mode,
> vs. going to standby (low-power mode), i forget.

  I've also got a hack in mem.c to let me access the PrestoServe memory
to play with reading and writing it from a user program.  One thing
I noticed was some bits set in the lower part of the memory.  I was
guessing that some of those bits could be the battery state.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant