Subject: Re: Netbooting - two stage bootstrapping?
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/19/1998 13:48:48
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

> On Aug 20,  1:17am, Simon Burge wrote:
> >      2. The second stage bootstrap uses further information in the BOOTP
> >         packet that the console received to find the NFS server and path
> >         and retreive the kernel (the file /netbsd). After loading the
> >         kernel into memory, it executes it.
>
>   Do you or anyone else have any details on how that second stage bootstrap
> would obtain the BOOTP packet information on the DECstation?

	Probably in the same was as the sparc/alpha ports :)
	Seriously - AFAIK someone needs to come up with a standalone
	version of the network driver. The boot program makes a bootp
	(or rarp/bootparams or dhcpd) request to the server.

> P.S.  My second-stage loader was also able to load ELF kernels as well as
> a.out kernels.

	Very cool :)

	It also helps a lot as the bootloader can be massaged for the
	boot proms and then all kernels	can be ELF. (Just for anyone
	on the list who didn't already know :)

		David/abs