Subject: Re: Keyboard cable
To: None <ParkinsonT@plcbrk.siemens.co.uk>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/01/1998 13:36:29
Hi.

"Parkinson, Tony (MED Brk)" <ParkinsonT@plcbrk.siemens.co.uk> wrote

> I have acquired a Decstation 5000/240 system unit, I have no keyboard or
> mouse. Can anyone supply the pinout for the keyboard cable?

Keyboard and mouse are controlled by A channels of two Z85C30 chips
respectively.  Driver software expects 4800bps for both.

With a WILD guess, I think the DB15 port is compatile with DEC3000.
It's pretty possible because DEC3000 is AXP alpha version of model
DECstation 240, indeed, and pin-out assignments are IDENTICAL.

If the port is compatiple, you have a chance to obtain an adapator
cable for the port, keyboard and mouse by asking Alpha user camp.

DEC3000 adaptor cable is a "splitter" for two port;  "RJ11-style"
connector for keyboard, and "PS2-style" mini DIN connector for mouse.
The "RJ" port accepts various Digital keyboards, specifically, LK401s
which are also used for various Digital's VT terminals like VT220
and VT320.  Mini DIN port accepts VSXXX-GA mouse.  It looks very
like so called "PS2 mouse," but PS2 PC mouse cannot be connected (it
does not fit into the port).

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology