Subject: Re: 1.3.2 Installation Woes
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/21/1998 10:59:13
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Simon Burge wrote:

> At a guess, I'd expect the 32,8,8,8... configuration to show up as
> a 40MB machine, but I can't test this at the moment.

Mixing memory modules is a no-no.  I have a 5000/240 which had 48MB of RAM
in 32+8+8 configuration, and NetBSD choked with ECC errors, refused to
boot sometimes, and was generally unhappy and unstable.  I pulled the 8MB
modules and the machine works fine.  [1]

Mixing different size modules just doesn't work under NetBSD.  (At least
not currently.)

[1] I'm still having trouble with the machine rebooting when my RZ23 is
    pegged with IO requests from a Bonnie run, but I haven't tried goats,
    chickens, or alternate cabling/termination yet...

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
  "No one's jumped off the top of the [Windows] building here, so I guess
   that's a pretty good indicator that it can't be all that bad."
    -- Rob Bennett, Microsoft group product manager, on Windows 98