Subject: Re: 1.3.2 Installation Woes
To: Marcel Chukwunenye <moc@mlb.semi.harris.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/20/1998 10:53:19
On Jul 17,  9:07pm, Marcel Chukwunenye wrote:
> I used a 5000/200 running Ultrix 4.4 as a helper system
> to install NetBSD 1.3.2. Here is what I did:
>
> 5000/200 with one (1) RZ56 at target 1
> added 3 disks;	RZ56 disk at target 3
> 		2.1GB disk at target 0
> 		RZ56 disk at target 2
>
> Helper disk is at target 3. Completed installation of netbsd
> to target 0 (2.1GB) successfully. I have been running  with
> this configuration for a while. I have booted up numerous times
> from the target 0 disk successfully.
>
> Problem: I moved target 0 and target 2 (one expansion cabinet)
> off to another system 5000/240 and tried booting from target 0.
> It does not boot.

  "It does not boot."  - I can think of a whole lot of things that would
cause the system to not boot.  A little more information would be useful
(does the system even see the disk, does the PROM complain about the
bootblock data on the disk, does the bootblock have problems finding the
kernel, does the kernel even start, etc...).

> So what did I do wrong?

  Hmm - what is the memory configuration in the 5000/240?  I've seen a
problem mentioned on OpenBSD that seemed to indicate a problem with a
5000/240 that had 8M SIMMS installed.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu