Subject: Re: DS5000/133 questions
To: NetBSD/pmax Discussion List <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/01/1998 11:19:52
On Jul  1, 11:24am, Paul Mather wrote:
> The only problem I've ever had with X on NetBSD/pmax is on the 5000/25.
> The mouse goes insane whenever there's any kind of load, giving off
> spurious mouse clicks and movements.  Kind of makes X unusable on that
> hardware.  All the other DECstations---with serial mouse---do not suffer
> that malady, though.
>
> Incidentally, has the psycho mouse problem been fixed for 5000/25, now?
> We rotated out all our 5000/25s for 5000/125s and 5000/240s, thereby
> "eliminating" the problem that way.  However, since the 5000/25s will
> undoubtedly go to surplus now, I might be interested in picking one up
> at the surplus auction in the future, but only if X works in a stable
> fashion, like on the other hardware.  IIRC, it was still broken as of
> the last time we used it on a 5000/25---in 1.3.

  I don't think the problem has been fixed.  I'm running a -current system
(plus new stuff I'm working on and testing), and notice I have problems
when moving the mouse.  My guess is that the "dtop" driver that handles
the 'desk top bus' that connects the keyboard/mouse has some problems.
I've even had it get confused between which device was which [i.e. move the
mouse and I get keyboard data on the screen, and hit the keyboard and the
mouse moves].  I've now got some ACCESS.bus documentation now, which
may help me to understand what the driver is doing.  I rather suspect the
problem is due to the way NetBSD/pmax currently handles the interrupts
and spl*() levels, and loses data from the mouse.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant