Subject: mountd + NFS
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel S Kosack <kosack@wam.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/28/1998 12:07:04
  I'm trying to work out this problem, and it doesn't have everything to
do with NetBSD pmax, but I'm using a DECstation so I figured I'd throw it
up here in case anyone may have an idea.

  I'm using SunOS 4.1[.1 and .3_U1]diskless clients off a 3100 with 1.2G
(am ready to go to 1.3.2, gladly!), BUT patching 4.1.1 with jumbo NFS
patches, and patched AND out of box 4.1.3_U1 crash and burn on any fs
stat-like call over the NFS (eg. checking free vnodes, etc).  NFS reads
and writes, ls, all that, are cool, but a df and the likes crash and burn
you.

  SunOS uses mountd version 1 and 2, NetBSD, FreeBSD, everything else
(including DEC UNIX) uses 1 and 3.  Me thinks that the later NFS stuff in
SUnOS 4.1.x does something where it tries to talk to something non-version
1 mountd first.  It therefore uses version 2 to talk to version 3, and
then we crash.

  Are there any thoughts on how I can use NetBSd in my syste like this?
Any NFS compatibility options?

Thanks!

Dan Kosack.