Subject: Re: Adding Disk Drives to NetBSD
To: NetBSD/pmax Discussion List <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/26/1998 11:34:12
On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Marcel Chukwunenye wrote:

> Shocks! I cannot believe that there is no utility to format
> and partition a drive.

There is: the "utility" to "format" a hard drive is called "newfs" and
the "utility" to partition it is called "disklabel." :-)

Or do you need something more hand-holding?

> Are there any future plans for this?

I don't see the reason for it, personally.  Actually, having been
brought up on disklabel and newfs, I found the graphical disk tool in
Digital Unix rather bothersome and long-winded to use (especially when
trying to align partitions on cylinder boundaries).  I prefer the more
direct method of "disklabel -e"... :-)

The only hassle I've had disklabelling under NetBSD/pmax is the "open
partition would move or shrink" problem when normalising the total
number of sectors on the drive, but that is easily solved by writing the
label to rrzXa instead of rrzXc.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
	--- James Marshall Hendrix