Subject: Apache 1.3.0, NetBSD/pmax and DSO support
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Gapen <jagapen@students.wisc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/13/1998 02:03:29
    Has anybody had success compiling Apache 1.3.0 with DSO support under
NetBSD/pmax?  I've compiled it more times than I can count, but I can't get it
to work.  The documentation implies that on ELF systems, one shouldn't need to
use the SHARED_CORE rule, but if I compile it without that, the modules can't
find the core functions they need.  When I do compile using SHARED_CORE, it
complains that it can't find the symbol _env_module in libexec/mod_env.so.
(That's the first module loaded.)
    Examining the files src/os/unix/os.(c|h), I see that when __NetBSD__ is
defined the loader function prepends an underscore to symbol names before
calling dlopen().  If I remove that #define I don't get any errors printed,
but it puts in an entry in the error_log to the effect that it can't find
symbol env_module in libexec/mod_env.so!
    I had some success in adding "#define env_module _env_module" to the
module source.  I'll have to try that again, but it seems an inelegant
solution.  Any insight?