Subject: None
To: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/30/1998 16:26:07
On May 30,  3:12pm, "Dr. John Refling" wrote:
> I untarred the syssrc.tgz for version 1.3, applied the patch for 1.3.1,
> did a config GENERIC, then make depend, make, and moved the netbsd.aout
> to /netbsd.mygeneric, a halt, and then boot 5/rz0/netbsd.mygeneric and it
> failed, complaining about the clock not being attached anywhere!
>
> Below is a log with this new kernel, and below that is a log with the
> kernel that came from the install.
>
> Any ideas?

  You also need to apply a separate patch to undo a patch that wasn't
supposed to be applied for 1.3.1 [source/pmax-rtc.diff.gz] (or possibly
use the original 1.3 version of pmax/tc/mcclock_ioasic.c).  This should
be fixed in 1.3.2.

> Also, I would like the machine not to halt when a break on the serial console
> is sent (which occurs when power-cycling the pc I am using for a terminal!).
> How would I do that?

  Either build a kernel without DDB, or modify the serial driver to not
call Debugger() on a break.  [Perhaps this should be controlled by sysctl?
I had the same thing happen to me today as well.]

> By the way, can anyone explain why we have to use the .aout version
> (the sparc arch for example does not have this step).

  Because the bootblock loader only understands the a.out format.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant