Subject: Re: mindless boredom, speed and compiling kernels
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/19/1998 13:26:21
Simon Burge wrote;

> "make -j 3" is a winner, saving approx. a minute and a half over just
> a normal "make" (or about 5%) based on the fastest timimgs.  It's sort
> of interesting that there's a similar number of page faults for each -j
> option (pretty much 3602 always), but the number of io's varies a bit
> (between 9107 and 9686) as the number of concurrent jobs goes up.

Pretty interesting...  I'm also interested in how differently UVM
performs on given the same hardware.  In another MIPS camp, UVM kernel
is getting matured, but still a lot work is needed for field use.  The
developer once stated he saw performance improvement (a little).

> This is on a 5000/260 running 1.3.1, with the source tree mounted of
> another 5000/260 running Ultrix 4.5 with PrestoServe.

Ah, I experienced severe performace degration of kernel compile over
NFS with IOASIC machine (Personal DECstation) compared to on local
filesystem.  I guess the reason why is IOASIC serializes LANCE access
and disk I/O.  (And, that's the reason that DEC3000 introduced TCDS
asic to separate SCSI traffice from LANCE traffic)

Non-the-less, further tuneup efforts will bring even better
performance, so I believe in.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology