Subject: Re: PMAG-C support....
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/14/1998 23:52:20
[ On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 14:54:37 (+0900), Toru Nishimura wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: PMAG-C support....=20
>
> There is a code segment in NetBSD source tree designed for PMAG-CA at=

> src/sys/dev/tc/px.c, which was created by Jonathan Stone.  He added t=
he
> codes to source repository at Nov. 1997.  The code seems derivated fr=
om
> Mach/alpha (much like rest of NetBSD/pmax codes).  Unfortunately the
> PMAG-CA driver is not a complete raster device driver.  It does
> initialize the video curcuit and squash interrupts generated by it, b=
ut
> not provide any graphic capability for NetBSD/pmax users (at least fo=
r now).

This would indeed be a good start.

I should point out that the cards we have in our machine are labeled (o=
the back beside the D-3W connector) as "PMAG-C".  I'm not sure how/if
that differs from "PMAG-CA".

I will try my local DEC contact and see if he knows where I might pry
detailed programming documentation on these cards from.

In the mean time I've dug up an empty 5000/125 (yeah! 5MHz more!) with =
PMAGB-B card.  I *think* we have a monitor this one will work on (we
have a VRT19-DA on the 5000/120 w/PMAG-C, and there's a VRT19-HA that
needs major de-Gaussing and adjustment on a currently unused 3100, and
so we should be able get NetBSD/pmax runnning productively soon).

> Given the fact all of the 2D/3D graphics option cards had a common RA=
MDAC
> (Bt459) and we know the way to initialize the ASICs on them, it might=
 be
> possible to utilize the cards as conventional dumb framebuffers.  It'=
> unlikely we can gain the 3D acceleration functionalities, though.
>=20
> Current NetBSD/pmax X11 server supports three different TURBOchannel
> graphics cards.  They can be obtained as "pull-offs" from adandoned
> DECstation5000s, or DEC 3000s.

It appeared to me (on cursory inspection of comments in the related X11=

manual page and source code) that any compatible hardware driver:

The
.PN Xdec
command supports the following hardware configurations:
.nf

   DECstation 2100 Monochrome or Color Workstations
   DECstation 3100 Monochrome or Color Workstations
   DECstation 5000/100/200 CX or MX Single or Multiscreen Workstations
.fi
.PP
This server should run on reasonable one
bit or eight bit Ultrix/RISC TURBOchannel displays of any resolution, i=
correct device driver support is present.
The server queries the device driver interface to determine if a
suitable display device is installed, and if so, configures the server
appropriately.

--=20
=09=09=09=09=09=09=09Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>=