Subject: Re: Kernel debugger?
To: Ove/Peter Fors <ovef@pophost1.interact.se>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/14/1998 12:29:14
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Ove/Peter Fors wrote:

> I've got a problem: At our computer club a member found an interesting ho=
le
> in our security. He pressed a key called "Utf=F6r" (swedish keyboard - "D=
o"?)
> and immediately some sort of kernel debugger appeared. This is obviously =
> tremendous security problem to us. What do I need to do to remove this
> feature?

In your kernel config file, comment out the line with

options =09DDB

Then recompile.  I thought there was a how-to for kernel compiling, but I
could be mistaken.  For starters, you can read the config(8) man page.
You can get kernel source for NetBSD 1.3 from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3/source/sets/syssrc.tgz
, and there's a set of two patch files that you'll need for 1.3.1 kernel=20
source in the NetBSD-1.3.1/source directory on the same machine.  You'll
be able to apply the patches with patch(1).

Let me know if you have trouble with the above.

> I have no experience at all of compiling a new kernel (we've been
> using the generic kernel all the time (NetBSD 1.3.1)). Secondly: We use a
> Decstation 5000/240 as our main server, and thus we need to have a few ha=
rd
> drives connected to it, but it seems (at least with earlier versions of
> NetBSD) that you can't have SCSI IDs >4 for hard drives. How do I fix thi=
s?

I *think* that's been fixed, but I'm not an authority on these things; my
main pmax machine has SCSI IDs 0, 1, 2, and 3.  :)

> BTW: Has anyone succeeded in porting mozilla to pmax yet?

I believe that's still in the works.

Chris

----
Chris Jones                                           cjones@math.montana.e=
du
           Mad scientist at large                     cjones@honors.montana=
=2Eedu
"Is this going to be a stand-up programming session, sir, or another bug hu=
nt?"