Subject: Re: PMAG-C support....
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/13/1998 10:37:31
Hi.

> Does anybody have info on what DEC monitors work with which DEC cards?

According to my collection of DEC documents, DECstation video cards
expect either 66Hz or 72Hz monitor.  Some of 72Hz-capable DEC monitor
can automatically detect 66Hz signal and operate with it.

A list composed from DS5000 documents;

    o 66Hz only
        VRT16-DA/D4, VRT19-DA/D4, VR320-CA, VR319-CA/C4
    o 72Hz only
        VR320-DA, VR319-DA/D4, VRM17
    o 66Hz or 72Hz
        VRT16-HA/H4, VRT19-HA/H4

    (I made double check the list above matchs to documents I have)

I could summarise a list of video card here, but it would be a bit
confusing list due to weird DEC product naming convention.  DECstation
video subsystems generates single frequency signals besides a few
exceptions.  With some models frequency is selectable with jumper pin,
or programming hardware register.

It would make you much happier to obtain a decent "multi-sync PC monitor"
with BNC connectors behind it.  High end PC monitors take two inputs
with BNC and HD Dsub15.  You could use them interchangably between PCs
and DECstations, and save space/electoricity/what-so-ever.

Personally I like Nanao 21" monochrome display which takes BNC and ECL(!)
input sources.  I don't like bulky, heavy and hard-to-adjust-and-less-crisp
VRT19s.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology