Subject: Re: PMAG-C support....
To: None <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/12/1998 22:50:24
On Tue, 12 May 1998, emanuel stiebler wrote:

> From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
> > True, but high-end PC monitors are terribly expensive, and don't most
>
> Don't think they are terribly expensive. Buy a good one, and you can use it
> for years.

Well, anything over US$500 is terribly expensive to me.  ;)  (I'm somewhat
of a hardware scrounge, and got my DECstations for free.)

> No. Most of them have 5 BNC, and accept sync on green too.
> But you have to check it anyway.

This is nice to know.

> > I've been wondering lately about how one would convert a sync-on-green BNC
> > system to a VGA DB15.
>
> its is easy. check:
>
> http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/video.html

This would be fine if I was doing NTSC/PAL/SECAM and broadcast video style
stuff, but even the references to the Harris Semiconductor sync-stripper
chip don't help much... all their reference designs assume that the sync
pulses are low instead of high.

Now I'm curious to see if anybody with a nice high-bandwidth scope can
tell me if the decstation video sync pulses are low or high, and at what
level(s).

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
  agrier@reed.edu |  agrier@metro.grumblesmurf.net  | ...!reed!vla!agrier
  DECBEE65 0DEE3A0C 1ED7F54D 9E023CC4 and 0x0663D1A9 at a server near you.