Subject: Re: Kernel doesn't probe memory size correctly...
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/07/1998 13:04:16
>   I don't know how the 5000/240 (or any other model) handles mixed
> SIMM sizes, so I'm not sure how the memory would look in those cases.
>
>   What configuration of memory are you trying to use?  [NetBSD currently
> only supports a single contiguous memory configuration, so if the memory
> is configured with "holes" in the memory space, NetBSD will only find
> the first contiguous segment.]

The slots were filled contiguously, with 2 32 Mb modules and 4 8 Mb modules.
Sorry, but I can't remember in what order they were arranged. I think it was
one of the 32 Mb modules first, then 3 of the 8 Mb's and then the other 32 Mb,
and then the last 8 Mb.

I'm inclined to believe that the hardware supports this because the PROM
correctly probed the amount of memory, though this is a completely uninformed
opinion. :)

	- Joel