Subject: Re: Tcl Shared libs and 8mm tape drives
To: Bill Harris <billh@airmail.net>
From: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/05/1998 23:17:23
Bill Harris wrote:

> Well, bought a Exabyte 8200 at the sidewalk sale Saturday
> and hooked it up to my ds5k/240.  Seems to work fine, but
> two issues bother me.  What's the correct block size/density/
> size to use for dump?
>
> mt doesn't seem to recognize the 8mm format to well.  I
> also seem to be having what appears to be scsi disconnect
> problems with the tape drive.  Getting horrid throughput
> and the os doesn't seem to be able to read from the drive
> and write to the tape at the same time, no matter the buffer
> size I use.  I'm looking at upgrading the firmware on the
> drive, since it appears Exabyte has addressed this with a
> firmware upgrade.
>
><<snip>>

You may have also noticed that Exabyte's web site (www.exabyte.com) has
a test utility (Expert73 IIRC) :-})  that runs on an ms-dos :-{( based
system. I've used it on my pc to check an 8200 and 8505. Back in the
depths of my mind, I seem to recall that this utility also has the
capability to upgrade the firmware in the tape drives. :-})

Stan