Subject: Re: Couple of questions
To: Bill Harris <billh@airmail.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/01/1998 06:53:33
On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:41:44 -0500  Bill Harris wrote:

> Question, where is the kernel source for 1.3.1?  I found
> a diff patch for pmax 1.3 to 1.3.1 but it looked like it
> was for the whole source tree.  Is there a 1.3.1 kernel
> tarball somewhere on ftp.netbsd.org?  If not, where/what
> is the proper method to have a valid 1.3.1 kernel source
> tree.  I'm a bit nervous running with the default kernel
> and the default NKNMEMCLUSTERS setting so low.

I was the person having problems with NKNMEMCLUSTERS and so on.  I've
got 4 machines running NetBSD/pmax full time here.  One of them is my
"main" play/development box, another two are test machines and a third
is a file server.  The "main" machine sits there and does things like
"make build"s, and I've also been trying to get mozilla to run on it
(compiling this is resource hungry).  The file server has 6x 2G disks
ccd'ed together, and this filesystem is NFS mounted as the ftp area
on our primary ftp machine.  It's only the file server (when things
get busy) that has had mb_full and similar problems, and which needed
NKNMEMCLUSTERS and NMBCLUSTERS changed.

So, I guess I'm trying to say "don't be too worried".

As for kernels, look in ~ftp/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.1/pmax/binary/kernel
on any of the ftp mirrors.  You want "netbsd.gz" for a system that boots
of disk and "netbsd.ecoff.gz" for netbooting.

> Second:  Will 1.3.1 recognize other TC ethernet cards like
> the PMAD-AA?  I'm planning on installing a couple and wanted
> to make sure it was supported.  I "assume" it would show up as
> le1.  And no, I haven't taken the time to go look into the source
> to see if it does... :-)

I haven't tried this, but it Should Just Work(tm).

Simon.