Subject: Re: miscellaneous startup probs
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/27/1998 13:14:03
Hi.

>> What is the model of DECstation 5000 you have at hand?  And, what's the
>> video card on it?
>
> It was a 5000/120, but I upgraded the processor to a 133 through a
> trade, and the memory is up to 28 megs now.

Good.  33MHz R3000 with 28MB runs comfortably.  I have 33MHz/40MB
Personal DECstation.  Compared with 1.2 (I joined in NetBSD/pmax world
arround 1996 mid summer), 1.3 runs noticeably faster.

>>> I'll update the kernel to the latest as soom
>>> as I get the network going.  The kernel I have now is 1.2.
>>
>> I recommend you to install NetBSD-1.3/pmax.
>
> That'd be a great idea, but I can't upgrade until I get the network
> going.

I believe in your network problem is configuration mistake.

> when I try from picnic to jaunt, I get stuff like:
>
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Permission denied

NetBSD responds FreeBSD with ICMP port unreachable.  Its endorses
FreeBSD originated ICMP echo request is (supportedly) served with ICMP
echo reply by NetBSD.  It's another mystery why NetBSD thinks telnetd
is an unavailable service.

As Simon Burge pointed out, I think it's quite possible IP address
assignment problem in;
	+ network interface -- IP/network/broadcast
	+ routing table
	+ DNS resolver or NIS/YP things
	+ other network administrations

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology