Subject: Re: miscellaneous startup probs
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/26/1998 22:49:35
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Toru Nishimura wrote:

> Hi.
>
> > I am finally trying to complete the startup of my NetBSD installed
> > DECStation 5000, and having some problems, wonder if this is the right
> > place to put this ... if it's not, please don't actually answer the
> > questions, just tell me where to repost.
> >

> What is the model of DECstation 5000 you have at hand?  And, what's the
> video card on it?

It was a 5000/120, but I upgraded the processor to a 133 through a
trade, and the memory is up to 28 megs now.

If I can just get ftp working, things will be fine, but I guess I have
to hack at this thing some more.  I can't tell yet for sure if it's a
NetBSD problem or a FreeBSD problem ... I should amend that, I am NOT
indicating a problem with either OS, just the way I'm using it somehow.
Since I can ping from FreeBSD to NetBSD, I don't think it's a hardware
problem.

> > I'll update the kernel to the latest as soom
> > as I get the network going.  The kernel I have now is 1.2.
>
> I recommend you to install NetBSD-1.3/pmax.

That'd be a great idea, but I can't upgrade until I get the network
going.

  It was improved in many
> aspects.  I guess you had hardships to install NetBSD-1.2/pmax
> release on your DS5000.  For the introduction of "sysinst", a bunch
> of weird features (nearly bugs) of NetBSD-1.2/pmax were fixed or
> improved greatly.
>
> > I have a huge color monitor, I guess it's a VR-299,
> > and seems to have 57 lines onscreen.  What's the correct terminal type
> > from termcap to use for this beast?  I tried the pcvt50, but it loses
> > the bottom 7 lines of screen, and keeps on getting stuck in reverse
> > video mode.
>
> In common circumstances, "sun" works.
>
> > [ ... difficulties with Xserver ... ]
>
> It's another reason you should go NetBSD-1.3.

Yeah, that's obviously first on my list, once I get the network up.

> Tohru Nishimura
> Nara Institute of Science and Technology

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |