Subject: Re: mozilla, motif, and binutils 2.9
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/19/1998 18:56:50
>There's also problems with 2.9 - there's a dump of link stage after
>this. "moz-export" has all the mozilla libraries dynamically loaded,
>and "mozilla-export" has them statically loaded.  The statically loaded
>version fails to build an executable, and the dynamically loaded version
>seg faults before anything happens:

That's at least one bug.

The warnings about "symbol type changed" are also (IMHO) a bug.  GCC
knows the references are to code, and it emits appropriate ELF
assembly-language to say so.  But ld somehow loses track of it internally.

Simon, would you mind sending a bug report to Ian Taylor?

>As a side note, should we be able to use an out-of-the box binutils 2.9
>on 1.3.1 or -current?

1.3.1 uses an out-of-the box binutils 2.8.1, so I dont' see why not...