Subject: Re: Memory?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Kim G. S. \yhus <kim@iq.pvv.ntnu.no>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/17/1998 10:50:41
> >From looking at the code, parity errors should be detected and cause a
> panic on the non error correction machines (see below), but I've never
> seen one here fail...  The code for the 3100 memory error detection is
> in /sys/arch/pmax/pmax/dec_3100.c

Hmmm. I don't get errordetection messages. I do only get messages
such as gcc internal compiler error, the primes program coredumping
at random times, tar.gz files sometimes containing errors, and other
times not. Perhaps the code does not work. I will make a program to
test it tonight.

> Of the machines that run NetBSD, only the 5000/2xx series machines have
> error correction.  The others (the 2100, 3100, 5000/xx and 5000/1xx)
> only have parity.  On the 5000/2xx series machines, error correction
> does "work" - it's done in hardware.  The kernel prints a message on the
> console and continues on.  (Yes, I've got a machine that happily prints
> these all the time, and keeps on chugging.)

Sounds nice, you lucky bastard. A machine that works, how nice.

What else, besedes memorytrouble, could cause the behaviour?
Could it be a SCSI problem? Does it use SCSI parity checking?
Is there a SCSI errorlog? I will make a SCSI testscript tonight.

Kim0