Subject: Re: CDROM oddity :-)
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/15/1998 09:38:50
when I scanned the entire cd-rom's data for validity, the system would always
crash, without any messages or warning.  This happened with the DEC RRD42.

When I substituted a newer generic scsi cd drive, the problem did not occur,
and all 650MB of data was read successfully!

So, I would guess there is some strangeness with the RRD42 which NetBSD is
not taking into consideration.

I can help with this project when I return to my machines in a week from now.

I didn't report this since I am having other serious problems with my machine
which cause gcc to fail.  Its a 5000/200, and I assumed that the cd problem
was related to those other problems.  Perhaps they are and we both have
problematic machines.