Subject: Re: PostgreSQL weirdness and C++
To: Jonathan Gapen <>
From: Matt White <>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/15/1998 00:02:00
On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Jonathan Gapen wrote:

>     I've built the latest PostgreSQL (6.3.1) on my pmax, but....
>     I couldn't run initdb because the pg_id program couldn't load
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH included /usr/local/pgsql/lib, /etc/ included
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib and ldconfig had been run.  Indeed, ldd showed that
> resolved to /usr/local/pgsql/lib/  No dice.  Root could run
> pg_id with no problem.  Finally, I symlinked /usr/lib/ to
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib/, and it works for normal users.  (I did see
> reference to this problem in my archive of this list, but I couldn't find a
> solution.)
>     Okay, so I got it running past the pg_id part of the initdb script, but
> now the postgres program says "Bad system call (core dumped)".  Ktrace shows
> "11749 postgres CALL  #221 (unimplemented semget)".  PostgreSQL supposedly
> supports NetBSD, so why this problem?

Do you have SYS V shared memory compiled into your kernel?  That's the
normal error the Postgres gives if it isn't there...

You need:

                 options         SYSVSHM
                 options         SYSVSEM
                 options         SYSVMSG

- Matt White                          -
- Network Technical Support   -
- College of Arts & Science          University of Saskatchewan     -
I used to think they were after me...
But they're just after my recipe.
	    - Joe Diffie..."Good Brown Gravy"