Subject: Re: Compiling new kernel for a DECstation 5000/25
To: Jason Parker <ph330812@student.uq.edu.au>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/02/1998 23:31:25
On Thu, 2 Apr 1998 21:25:49 +1000 (GMT+1000)  Jason Parker wrote:

> Three questions about kernel compiles on pmax:
>
> 1)  The first kernel I attempted to compile ended up being ELF for
>     some reason, and wouldn't boot---is there something that can be
>     done about this?

There'll be three "kernels" after a build.  The netbsd.ecoff is used for
network booting and the netbsd.aout is used for booting off disk.  The
netbsd is used for building the first two.  You'll either want to:

	cp netbsd.aout /netbsd

for booting of disk, or:

	cp netbsd.ecoff /tftpboot/<kernel-name>

on your boot server for network booting.

> 2)  Now that I'm trying to build a new kernel, it's refusing to
>     finish the job when it attempts to link "netbsd", giving
>     undefined reference errors for `compat_43_sys_{recvmsg, sendmsg,
>     recvfrom}' even though I've re-edited my config file, redone a
>     make clean, make dep, and make.  Any ideas on what gives?

I don't know the specific answer to this, but a good fallback is to
remove the build directory entirely, and re-run config.

> 3)  Also, the make doesn't work if I try to use GNU make, complaining
>     that line 43 of the makefile has a missing seperator.  I'd fix
>     this if I knew enough about Makefiles.  :)

This may be a silly question, but why do you want to use GNU make?

Simon.