Subject: Re: Upgrade of DS3100 - Tips wanted
To: Harald Bjoroy <harald@bitcon.no>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/21/1998 12:36:44
>I just got a Decstation 3100 with a B/W monitor, enough videoram to drive
>the display without colors or gray-shades. It also has 12 MB RAM.
>
>I opened the box, and saw that it had 6x2MB RAM (72-pins simm-type), and
>that tere where 4 free slots (mabye 6?). Also it has one video-ram card
>with the same format as new SDRAM chips.

>I just wonder, is it possible that it takes "normal" 72-pins SIMMS?

It doesn't.  Nor is the video "normal", if by normal you mean PC
industry standard. The video output on the 3100 is compatible with the
Vaxstation-II qdss monitors which date to the early 80s, about the
same timeframe as the original PC/AT. (Remember EGA?).

The monitors are sync-on-green, fixed-frequency at rates that don't
match standard VGA rates. The SIMMs are DEC proprietary 80-pin with
parity.  Your best bet is to find RAM from someone who's dumping or
parting out a 3100.

Hardware documentation for the 3100 is (or was) on DEC's anonymous FTP
site, gatekeeper.dec.com.