Subject: Re: 1.3 reports no clock on 5000/125
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/18/1998 12:05:38
On Mar 18,  7:08pm, Ove/Peter Fors wrote:
> Maybe I've got the same problem with the Dec 5000/240 at our computer club.
> NetBSD 1.3_BETA works just perfectly on it, but 1.3.1 refuses to boot. I
> just downloaded the NetBSD 1.3 kernel and it seems to boot ok. Here's the
> printout when trying to boot 1.3.1:

  It would look to me like something fell through the cracks on 1.3.1:

> cpu0 at mainbus0: MIPS R3000 CPU Rev. 3.0 with MIPS R3010 FPC Rev. 4.0
>         L1 cache: 64kb Instruction, 64kb Data.
> tc0 at mainbus0: 25 MHz clock
> asic0 at tc0 slot 3 offset 0x0
> clock on asic: must be attached at mainbus or ioasic

  The clock attach routine should be checking for "asic", but it looks
like the 1.3.1 patch includes an update that changed that to "ioasic",
which is not correct for 1.3/1.3.1.

  I think this was caused by a change to /usr/sbin/config.  In 1.3 and
1.3.1, the name "asic" was defined by a data structure 'hard-coded' into
the ioasic match/attach code (although all the config files referenced
ioasic).  This data structure was changed post-1.3 to be automatically
generated by /usr/sbin/config from the config file, which used "ioasic".
 The clock match code previously was looking for "asic", and was changed
to "ioasic".  That change was also added to the 1.3.1 patch, which looks
like it shouldn't have.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu