Subject: Re: mit-pthreads
To: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
From: Bill Harris <billh@airmail.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/14/1998 16:23:09
Copied from port-pmax mailing list....

> Has anybody out there gotten mit-pthreads from pkgsrc to work under
> NetBSD?  I'm currently messing with a putting a combination of ultrix-4.2
> and netbsd-1.1 settings in its config files, and that seems to at least
> partially work.  However, I have no experience with pthreads, so I really
> am not sure if this is going to work for real.
>
> Chris

Chris,
I've asked about this as well during the last 3 months.  From what I've
learned, Ultrix is substantially different in it's kernel level calls in
regards to NetBSD.

I need a working Pthreads so that the Mysql server module will compile/run.
I've been using the client and libs for several months, which doesn't require
the pthreads library with NetBSD 1.3 with no problems.

One of the Mysql developers actually looked at the NetBSD 1.3/pmax and needed
additional information on assembly language calls that Netbsd would make.

For now, I'm running Mysql on a FreeBSD 2.2.5 PC sitting next to my 5000/240.
I just read where FreeBSD 2.2.6 will have working, native threads, when it's
released.

Bill

Bill Harris
Internet America Systems