Subject: Re: Where is miniroot
To: Bob Applegate <bob@waterw.com>
From: Reini (Reinhold Huber) <Reinhold.Huber@Fachschaften.TU-Muenchen.DE (Reinhold Huber)>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/11/1998 16:12:43
Hi,

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Bob Applegate wrote:
> Okay, probably a dumb question, but I'm interested in getting NetBSD
> running on an idle 5000/240.  I see references to miniroot, bootrz and
> rzboot, but haven't found them in the FTP site.  Can someone tell me
> where to look?
There are new installation notes for NetBSD/pmax, which do not require
miniroot and these boot files any more. Detailed instructions are in the
file pmax/INSTALL, relative to the NetBSD-1.3 directory on any NetBSD
site. With 1.3-RELEASE a diskimage is provided, which is bootable if
simply written with dd to the beginning of the disk (boot N/rzX/netbsd,
where N is the right Turbochannel card number for the 5000/240, and X is
the SCSI ID of your disk).
You can run a installation program as soon as the diskimage is booted.
There are still some problems with 1.3, workarounds are needed to
get X running (a prob with xfs (fontserver) job control), and there are
troubles with shared libs. Maybe that all is solved in 1.3.1.)
Hope this helps.

To the others: When will 1.3.1 be released for pmax? Want to know if I
should workaround the probs with 1.3 or better update to 1.3.1.

Greetings,
Reinhold Huber