Subject: Re: *wm* crashes a lot
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/05/1998 22:55:13
In message <199803052301.PAA25069@Kowhai.Stanford.EDU>, Jonathan Stone writes:

>>>   Yes, I have.
>
>>FWIW, I've got PR port-pmax/5064 open on this very issue, if anybody finds
>>anything...
>
>OK. TWM is linked dynamically against libgnumalloc and libc.
>I have a PR  open against linkingdynamic libs which define the
>same symbol multiple times in different libraries.
>
>One of the places this bites is /usr/X11R6/bin/resize, which loses in
>exactly the same way when linked against libgnumalloc,
>
>I bet a chocolate fish[*] that twm will work as well as it ever does
>if either linked statically, or linked without gnu malloc.
>Could someone try that out, please? I just dont have time this week.

Ok, I downloaded NetBSD-current/xsrc/xc/programs/twm/*
then

xmkmf

then edited the Makefile to get rid of the -lgnumalloc part of the EXTRALIBS
line.  then

make

The resulting twm seems fine.  closing a window (which usually immediately killed
twm) seems ok now.

Not to ask a silly question, but is this like when I work on my car and
have left over parts?  Anyway, I'll stick it on the net if anyone else wants
it.  It will be at http://www.mit.edu/~mcmahill/NetBSD/

Don't know how long I'll leave it there as my disk quote is pretty small.  I guess
until I need the space.

Dan