Subject: None
To: Parkinson Tony <ParkinsonT@plcbrk.siemens.co.uk>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/05/1998 02:55:38

>1. I can't get it to autoboot, contents of prom are

>boot=3/rz0/netbsd -aN
>testaction=q
>more=0
>console=5
>scsiid3=7
>haltaction=h
>#=3
>osconsole=3

>No idea what any of this means?

The PROM is basically  the same as for ULtrix

boot is the default bootpath, used at bootup or if you do
  >> boot

without any args.  You probably want to do
     >> setenv boot "3/rz0/netbsd -a"
now you're up.

from memory:
testaction=q says to do quick tests at poweron rather than none (=n) or
full tests (=t).

haltaction=h says to halt at poweron or when you do a reboot from
netbsd. =b means boot.  (or maybe here is where you disable the tests.)

scsiid is the SCSI unit ID to which the PROM sets the
motherboard's SCSI id.

man 8 boot used to have some additional info.  there are enough
machines around without users guides now that maybe a man 8 prom would
be useful, too. Anyone want ot volunteer?

>2. Netbsd seems to be different enough to cause me a few admin problems,
>any recomendations for a good book?

It's closer to SunOS 4.1.x than to ultrix, and closer still to 4.4BSD.
I dont know of any books specific to NetBSD. If it helps, freeBSD or
BSDi is probably closest, followed by 4.4BSD.

>3. I have a pmag-f unsupported frame buffer, is it possible to configure
>X to run and connect via network terminals for display?

Yes, it is possible.  For plain network terminals, configure an IP
address and hostname (e.g., by editing ifconfig.le0 or via sysinst, if
all else fails) and start inetd by setting rc_configured
in /etc/rc.conf.  Then, use rlogin or telnet from the host of your choice.
(There's no DECnet in NetBSD.)

To use a remote X display, install the X client sets and set $DISPLAY
appropriately, or use the `xon' script that comes with X11R6.

The pmag-F is a horrid ugly beast with hardware bugs and a balky i860.
We need a redesign of the console subsystem to handle this old
accelrator; even then some inspired hacking will be needed to figure
out how to talk to the i860 and the blitter chip.
An X server is right out.