Subject: Re: NetBSD on a Personal DECstation 5000/33 without framebuffer?
To: None <dillema@huygens.org>
From: Jan Mueller <jan.mueller@tu-harburg.d400.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/18/1998 16:14:38
dillema@acm.org wrote:

> Can NetBSD/pmax be used on a DECstation without framebuffer, with console
> on the serial-port e.g.? Somebody I know stated that NetBSD won't boot
> without a supported framebuffer. Could one of you give me an update
> on that. We'd like to use a DECstation with NetBSD for a WWW-server
> (their framebuffers are not supported by NetBSD, I understood) so
> don't need X-support for these machines.

I'm running OpenBSD 2.2 on a 5000/33 without monitor and
keyboard. After setting up the boot string, i disconnected
monitor and KB and don't even need a console connected to the
serial port to boot this machine. Just switch it on ...

AFAIK it has an onboard framebuffer, that is supported
by OpenBSD (X11 is running fine) and should be supported
by NetBSD too.

Jan.