Subject: Re: Odd problem w/ tcsh
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/09/1998 10:16:18
>On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
>
>> Actually the correct solution is detailed in the tcsh README file.  Look
>> for 'SYSMALLOC'
>
>Really funny to see so many people not reading the documentation, which
>has all the information about the problem (and has had so for a *number*
>of years... :-)

Thanks for mentioning the relevant #define.

But, umm, it's not quite `the correct solution'. tcsh's won built-in
malloc should work.  It does work on other NetBSD ports.  It's a bug
that it doesn't.  The same bug seems to affect other programs (resize,
perl) in more pernicious ways.

So the right `solution' is to figure out *why* it doesn't work and fix
it:).  Meanwhile, the package system could indeed be tweaked to use
-DSYSMALLOC.  (If it wasn't clear, that's what I meant by ``tweaking
the Makefile''.)  The package system doesn't do that (yet),
so you have to do it either in the Makefile or on the command line.

I'm sure that's what Ted meant, too.

As I said, I prefer to just build tcsh statically, so I can use it as
root's shell.  If/when precompiled binary packages get built, that's
probably how I'll build tcsh--even if this gets fixed.