Subject: Re: Build my own kernel?
To: Mike Richichi <MRICHICH@drunivac.drew.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/06/1998 12:02:35
On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Mike Richichi wrote:

> I don't know if this has been asked in so many words before, but if I
> want to tweak my 1.3 kernel (I have a 3100 and would like to fix the
> mouse problem, because otherwise it's just a really big VT terminal)
> what files do I need to get off the FTP site?  I got stuff from
> /pub/NetBSD-current/src/sys/arch/pmax which I think are the kernel
> files, but the Makefiles don't quite seem to work right.
>
> Can anyone who is regularly building kernels give some pointers?

If you want to tweak your 1.3 kernel, don't use that source. Go to the 1.3
distribution (where the instalation files were) and get the 1.3 source.
There's a syssrc.tgz file which will hold the 1.3 kernel source. Use it.

Then cd to <kernel source>/arch/pmax/conf.

cp GENERIC <YOUR_KERNEL'S_NAME>
edit (vi/emacs) <YOUR_KERNEL'S_NAME> and tweak features
config <YOUR_KERNEL'S_NAME>
cd ../compile/<YOUR_KERNEL'S_NAME>
make depend && make

Before actually making, you'll need to apply the patch to fix the mouse
port.

Take care,

Bill