Subject: Re: hardware address conflict?
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/05/1998 10:36:53
On Feb  5, 12:07pm, James O'Kane wrote:
> I've had a problem since I started using this, and it seems to be some kind
> of a hardware problem. When the machine gets to the PROM prompt it says
> that the ethernet hardware address is 08:00:2b:1a:85:f8, but in the bootpd
> server log I find this error:
> Feb  1 15:50:34 uhura bootpd[29922]: version 2.4.3
> Feb  1 15:50:34 uhura bootpd[29922]: bad addr len from from Ethernet
> address 52:41:53:20:80:AC
> Feb  1 15:51:27 uhura tftpd[29928]: tftpd: trying to get file:
> /tftpboot/nfsnetbsd.ecoff

  I've seen that "bad addr len" message before, and I tracked it down to
a Windows NT server that was running RAS.  [Also note that the first
part of the Ethernet address is 'RAS '.]

> As long as the bad addr error doesn't occur again (it happens several
> times) after the tftpd does it's thing then the link will stay up. When
> that error occurs the link dies and doesn't recover. I've put both hardware
> addresses into bootptab to see which one works and it's the 08:00 one.

  The "bad addr len" error should only be an "informational" message from
bootpd indicating that it received a packet that it doesn't like.  I
wouldn't think it should affect anything else, but who knows....

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant