Subject: Re: make of pkg tk80 fails on NetBSD/pmax 1.3.
To: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@qut.edu.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/03/1998 19:17:27
Gregory McGarry writes:

>Jonathan Stone wrote:

>> Grr. No version number, no matching lib. (at least I think that's
>> what's wrong: I triple-checked /usr/pkg/lib and ld.so.conf).

Uh, that's the sharedlib major version number as supplied by the
-soname flag, as in our bsd.lib.mk on ELF systems.  ELF sharedlib
version search semantics arent the same as SunOs 4.x or NetBSD.

>FYI, I have commented many times using the packages and other sources,
>that NetBSD/pmax doesn't handle shared libraries (other than the standard
>ones) very reliably.  I concluded it was a problem with the pmax ldd,
>ldconfig, and ld.so incompatibilites.
>
>I ended up hacking things for static libs.  The last time I reviewed this
>stuff was on 1.3_alpha.

Thanks.  However, I just dont agree that NetBSD/pmax `does not handle
shared libraries very reliably'.  It doesn't do dl(3) yet.  Other than
that, __if__ you:

	a)  follow the standard ELF library conventions for NetBSD,
	    as in bsd.lib.mk and our X imake template, and
	b) use the appropriate  commandline flags for GNU binutils 2.x,

then shared libraries on NetBSD/pmax work fine.

As I see it, the problem is that the NetBSD package system, or the
individual packages, don't have adequate support for NetBSD platforms
that use ELF rather than a.out.  Some packages have half-hearted
checks for the Alpha; others dont seem to have even that much.

I've forwarded a description of the problems I've been running into to
Alistair and Hubert.  I hope between us, we can get this sorted out
soon.